Saginaw, Michigan

Our home has been two years in the planning and building. Over a year ago I went to Rock Tops in Saline, MI and met with David Gough. Our architect had specifically designed the kitchen island to be a “showpiece” of the home. It was large (5’ x 9’) but designed so that a single piece of granite would be used as the countertop. At this meeting, I told David that we needed the kitchen island to be a single piece. He assured me this would be no problem.

2 months ago we again met with David to begin to finalize our countertops and reiterated the importance of a single piece for the island. We met the measurer at the house and explained that the island had to be a single piece. They had a small screen that showed the cad drawings showing a single piece for the island that we approved.

We visited Rock Tops in Macomb Township in order to select the slab for the island. When we arrived, they did not have slabs large enough for the island in the color we had selected so we spent another 90 minutes selecting another color with larger slabs available and again, reiterated that the island had to be a single slab. Jim Theide, the owner’s brother, had the cad drawings faxed to the showroom in order to assure that the slab we were picking would be able to do the island as one piece.

The island was delivered in two pieces with a seam running right down the middle and a large chip on one of the corners of the large island piece. During the attempted installation the farm sink in our kitchen was scratched. The installers, rather than taking responsibility, covered the scratch with a piece of tape and then tried to blame someone else. We immediately called Rock Tops to let them know what was happening and instructed the installers to stop the installation until we had these issues addressed.

I have left 9 messages for the owner but have not received a call back. I received a call from someone named Scott, stating they would not rectify the problem and that they could put seams anywhere they wanted. I have been in contact with David Gough who has acknowledged several times that the island was supposed to be 1 piece but now, he too has stopped returning my calls. We are left with a kitchen full of uninstalled slabs with an island slab that is cut down the middle and has a large chip on one edge (see pictures on website--www.rocktopsishorrible.com). The company is now refusing to even return our calls.

Rock Tops requires payment in full prior to fabricating the granite and now I understand why. This company is both unreliable and unprofessional. We will be filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the Michigan State Attorney General's office and will also be pursing legal action. There are many companies that can install granite or marble countertops. Rock Tops was and is a very poor choice. We hope others will be able to use our experience and avoid this company at all cost. For additional information on our saga please see www.rocktopsishorrible.com.

Had an Experience with Rocktops Granite and Marble?

Comments